Sunday 26 April 2015

21 years… A country old enough to drink!

So I was born in an era whereby segregation was a norm, i can’t quite remember the negativity yet I live through the past transgressions of our beautiful country. I can’t classify myself as a born free as I am well past the age of being the kids of today. I emphasise the fact that they are kids and how are they acting. I always had this idea that I am not quite that smart to get my voice heard but instead I chose a party that will best represent my opinion and views. It makes sense considering that your vote is your voice. when will it stop or change though. 21 years and still bickering about the past. Whose to blame our president or our own bad decisions… frankly I blame those silly  kids who chose not to vote and still find themselves complaining, dude you are under 21 what do you know about what your parents went through, my mother worked her ass off with white people, the enemy at that point. 

Now my life has not been a walk in the park but i have never complained about it, shit has happened but where do you go when you are the only guy with white friends and a sense of equality without even knowing about the sick things that have happened. Corruption and deceit and all that drama that comes with being a voiceless activist. I recently got into watching the parliament channel and my eyes have been opened up. So much red tape and different ideologies are being thrown around and yet we sit on the sideline and complain; is the president the enemy, are the parties chaotic? We are a nation governed by a state that makes decisions without public debate and opinion. I have not paid my E-toll and don’t intend to, does that make me a criminal, does that make me an activist, well frankly I feel like a terrorist driven to rebel against an idea that is not mine. Don’t get me wrong if this was a fair and just way to implement a system I would probably be all for it, but I am not. I won’t mention who i voted for because just like religious conversation, this can only get nasty. My main concern are the so called “born Frees”, never have I ever heard so much bullshit in my life… kids complaining about a war they did not have the knowledge or understanding of what our parents went through. these kids are claiming to be freedom fighters but all they are, are a bane to our families and politicians who made a difference.

I can’t sit back and let this continue but it is well beyond my control. Our country is legal enough to drink in all countries,thats pretty sweet if you ask me but what type of message is been sent to the youth. What difference are they willing to make to counter the negative aspect and corruption within our higher ranks. I lost faith in our president and it saddens me, how can you be a leader and have so many people against you. I’ve read a speech before and made it my own and even added details as they came to my head,,, then we have a tyrant who reads every speech and document typed out for him. Am I gonna judge, yes! I have recently decided to make a huge choice to try leave the country and create a life where i feel safe and represented fairly, I don’t mind it being strict but sometimes that is necessary to create peace. I am honestly sure it is easier to get drugs here than to get cigarettes, all our crime statistics seem like a joke. who makes up these numbers and who regulates the changes to make us safer, hell even our sports stars are jailed for crimes that could have been easily avoided. 

Life is a pandoras box and we have to learn to live with it. Who will stand by us and sacrifice their belief structure and sense of justice to make us feel safe? 21 years and still we are dwelling in the past like we are living some type of sick nostalgic dream, I am not a religious person but I would pray to whatever higher power to grant us a system where we could move forward and lose these kids who have no right to complain about a life they never had to live. Racism is always gonna be there but who will teach these kids to be freedom fighters for a growing country instead of a complacent negative species. 

My memories of varsity were of those who stood by and rallied other students, not for the sake of change but conflict. News articles and media showed angry youth being angry at a time they weren't even born, I love my country but I hate the mentality!Maybe I am a cynical bastard but at the end of the day we can’t be collateral damage to those we hold as our leaders. I hope to see a South Africa where the news reads headlines that inspire growth, education and health for all, maybe its just a pipe dream, but dream I will, because what else can we do but hope,vote and be heard. I despise those who choose to not vote and yet complain about the state of the nation, we are the masters of our own destiny and we need to take control before we lose it all and bitch about it till we immigrate. 


This is my home, this is my nation, this is my pride, I believe we have the best national anthem in the world and I will hold my heart and stand every time I hear it, I wish most people would do the same… learn the fucken lyrics this is your home, our country is old enough to drink, so are you… but make the right decisions before you destroy yourself, your ideals and penultimately your morals. Proudly South African, i will always vote, its my voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment